Friday, November 7, 2008

Justice II

In my last post I started to explore the concept of justice. I left many loose ends. I hope to clean many of those up in the days to come. One particular aspect of justice is the issue of abortion. I recently heard a criticism of the older generations and their approach to politics as being too one issue oriented—abortion. As the criticism was related, the younger generation said it was time to move on and look at broader issues. I, for one, have never been a one issue person. I recognize the point of the younger generation. Some people are driven by this one issue. However, I am not willing to make it a point of criticism. If one must be driven by one issue, abortion is the issue by which to be driven. There is no principle more critical in our culture today or in any culture for that matter. If the sanctity of human life is diminished all of the other aspects of the law between people is diminished. What is it to steal from another man if that man’s life is of little value? What is it to bear false witness against another man if that man’s life is of little value?

In addition, in many respects, the issue of abortion embodies the broader issues of justice that I discussed in my prior post. Protecting the life of the unborn is the protection of the rights of someone other than me. By its very nature, being pro life is not being self interested. By its very nature, the position defends the most innocent person in the culture, the unborn. This is justice.

I am not sure what the so called younger generation is seeking to change to in its admonition to the older generation, but if it is at all reflected in the rhetoric of the recent Presidential campaign, it is self interest. All of the candidates declare what they will do for each interest group, as if the execution of justice was some benefit with which to buy the interest group’s vote. This is not justice; it is the opposite of justice. This may be unfair to the criticism, but the issues the candidates portray is telling.

Taking this discussion full circle, Yes, a voter can be driven by the one issue of abortion. However, abortion is a symptom of our me centered culture, our anti-justice culture. We are so self centered in this culture that we look past the question of is this just and focus only on what is good for me. If someone must focus on one issue, I prefer that they focus on an issue that is not one of self interest and one that embodies the principle of justice.

No comments: