Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Blagojevich and US

How many of you are appauled at Governor Rod Blagojevich’s attempt to sell Illinois’ U.S. Senate seat? I certainly am. There is nothing that so compromises our system of laws and the integrity of our government as giving it to men who would use it for gain. Justice in the final analysis goes to the one with the most money or the most power.

And yet I wonder, how would you look at our last election for U.S. President? What is it that we cast our votes for? If you listened to the campaigns at all, both candidates believe that you cast your vote for the one that will do the most for you. Who will bring you the best health care? Who will spread the wealth around the best? Who will provide the biggest tax cuts? We are used to this type of campaigning. What is it these candidates bring to us? Social security? Food stamps? Welfare? Entitlements? Did you sell your vote this year? What do we anticipate getting from our election this year? As for me, let the government bring me nothing and take from me nothing except what I deserve as punishment for my crimes and protection from those who would commit crimes against me.

Alexis De Tocqueville once wrote, “The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” When our hard earned tax dollars become the trough for bribing the public, the wealth of the entire nation is at risk. How long will we endure?

No comments: